Boxing legend Mike Tyson is set to return to the boxing ring after spending 15 years in retirement. Tyson reigned as the undisputed world heavyweight champion and currently holds the record as the youngest boxer to win a heavyweight title.
Stem Cells for Boxers & MMA Fighters
Tyson won his first 19 professional fights by knockout, 12 of them in the first round. Tyson holds a 50-6 (win-loss) record from his 58 professional bouts. Iron Mike was known for his ferocious and intimidating boxing style and his controversial behavior inside and outside the ring. Nicknamed “Iron Mike” and “Kid Dynamite” he later became known as “The Baddest Man on the Planet.”
But after retiring, Tyson’s weight ballooned rapidly after battles with drug addiction and depression. To help rebuild his body the 53-year-old former Boxer decided to have stem cell treatment.
Also known as regenerative medicine, stem cells help to promotes the repair response of diseased organs, dysfunctional or injured tissue using MSC+ stem cells after they have been expanded in a lab. In order for cell treatment applications to be successful, large numbers of high-quality stem cells are needed especially for neurodegenerative diseases such as ALS, MND, Alzheimer’s & Parkinsons disease. Other use cases for professional and amateur athletes who have injuries to the hips, torn knee ligaments, shoulder/rotator cuff injuries and chronic pain due to cervical or lumbar DDD. Neural cell replacement therapy has also been used in clinical trials for professional fighters who are diagnosed with with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) & traumatic brain injuries. The necessary step of expansion requires isolating and culturing specific cell lineages with culture growth mediums to produce pure populations of tissue-specific stem-cells.
How Do Stem Cells Help Regenerate the Body?
Stem cells mediate repair via five primary mechanisms:
- Multipotent stem cells provide instant anti-inflammatory effects
- Using paracrine cell signaling, stem cells can home to areas of damage/disease and recruit new cells necessary for cellular regeneration
- According to the stem cell institute MSC+ Cells support cellular regeneration before development of scar tissue formation that hinders proper healing
- Stem cells can Inhibiting cell death ( Apoptosis) and also boost cells naturally
- Cellular differentiation is the process in which a cell changes from one cell type to another. Usually, the cell changes to a more specialized type like bone cells, progenitor cells, cartilage, tendons, and ligament tissue
Although Iron Mike is only returning for a charity match, this doesn’t mean Tyson’s return won’t be a huge draw. During a recent Instagram Live session with NBA legend Shaquille O’Neal, Tyson revealed he is getting back in the groove as a boxer mainly thanks to his stem cell therapy. Tyson admitted to Shaq that after being away from training for 15 years. He felt incredible again and with consistent training he expects to be back to normal. Mike caught the attention of the boxing world last week when he posted a short video of a workout.
The sparring videos show he possesses plenty of the punching power and speed that allowed him to become the first heavyweight to hold the WBA, WBC and IBF titles.